Our successful four-day festival in Chicago in August 2004 sold out all its events, registered hundreds of voters, gained wide media acclaim and raised some $25,000 for a nonpartisan voter registration and mobilization program that in turn added 75,000 new voters to the rolls in the Chicago area.
Interchange 2004 events included:
- Tortoise, Diverse, Robbie Fulks, Town & Country and David Singer & the Sweet Science at the Hideout (outside/inside).
- Andrew Bird, Charles Bissell (Wrens) and the Vandermark Five at Schubas.
- The M’s and Bobby Conn at the Empty Bottle.
- Sage Francis, Eyedea & Abilities, Thaione Davis, Molemen, Psalm One, the Swiss Army, special guest P.O.S. and host Slug (Atmosphere) at Metro.
- Record-shop in-store performances by Nora O’Connor (at Reckless) and the David Boykin Expanse (at the Jazz Record Mart) and a Chicago Cultural Center matinee acoustic performance by Dolly Varden.
- A special screening of “The Weather Underground,” with discussion by director Bill Siegel, at the Gene Siskel Film Center.
- Voter reg booths at damn near every record store in town.
- And more voter reg at the Milwaukee/North/Damen el stop and local shows by the likes of !!!, Oneida, Diplo and more.